Choosing an opal is like searching for a soul mate. The real mystique and value of opals lies in the intangible rather than measurable. Yet, just like with a soul mate, you have to understand opals to appreciate them fully. So, how do you value them?
- The darker the body tone of an opal, the higher value for the same quality and size lighter opal.
- Red in an opal is more valuable than orange, yellow than purple and green than blue.
- The more colours in one opal, the more exciting that opal is.
- The broader and more defined the opal pattern, the rarer the opal.
- The more brilliant a colour play in an opal, the pricier the opal.
- Opals that engage in a play of colour with their full face and at all angles are very rare and thus most valuable.
- The cleaner an opal’s face, the more valuable that opal is.
At Opal Minded we insist you only take home an opal piece that would give you the astonishing sensation of finding something unquestionably unique.