7 ways to choose an opal2020 Nov, 01
Choosing an opal is like searching for a soul mate. The real mystique and value of opals lies in the intangible rather than measurable. Yet, just like with a soul mate, you have to understand opals to appreciate them fully. So, how do you value them?
- The darker the body tone of an opal, the higher value for the same quality and size lighter opal.
- Red in an opal is more valuable than orange, yellow than purple and green than blue.
- The more colours in one opal, the more exciting that opal is.
- The broader and more defined the opal pattern, the rarer the opal.
- The more brilliant a colour play in an opal, the pricier the opal.
- Opals that engage in a play of colour with their full face and at all angles are very rare and thus most valuable.
- The cleaner an opal’s face, the more valuable that opal is.
Opal Minded, each opal piece comes with a “Certificate of Authenticity” which states the origin and other qualities of the piece. Opals from our own mines come with an origins story and often with a handshake from our founder John Bernard, who personally mines, processes and designs some of our pieces and delivers them to you from the harshness of Jundah-Opalville opal mines in Queensland.
At Opal Minded we insist you only take home an opal piece that would give you the astonishing sensation of finding something unquestionably unique.